National Security Committee On Refugees

Dutton will brief the national security committee about refugees Peter Dutton, the Immigration Minister. Will brief the cabinet’s national security panel on Tuesday about border policy. This includes Nauru’s announcement of its detention facility. Becoming an open centre and all refugee applications being process within one week.

In a statement, the Nauruan government stated that 600 asylum seekers are still being process. The new arrangement, which was implement Monday. Will allow people in the facility to visit and leave at any time they wish, instead of only between 9am and 9pm. On Tuesday, there will be meetings in Melbourne of the cabinet, the national security and expenditure committees.

The report to the national safety committee is only a verbal update. However, it will allow Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to express any ideas he has. Turnbull made it clear that he is concerned for the Nauru and Manus Island residents, which have more than 900 men. He is careful to not send signals that could encourage people smugglers.

Even though Nauru’s asylum seekers are process and found to refugees, they still face serious problems, including security threats. David Adeang, Nauru’s Justice minister, said that Nauru had been trying to reach an open arrangement for some time. This was after the implementation of a daytime open programme. It was waiting for confirmation from Australia that it would be able to transition.

Australian National Government

Adeang stated that the Australian government would support Nauru with safety, security, and law enforcement. This included more Australian police assistance. The Nauruan government increased the number and experience of community liaison officers, which was 30 more than the 135-320 figure. This to ensure that asylum seekers are integrate in the community securely and harmoniously. Adeang stated that more lifeguards will hire as swimming and other water-relate activities are very popular among refugee families.

Adeang stated that Nauru was working closely with Australian authorities in order to provide appropriate ongoing health care. This would include sending patients overseas to receive treatment if necessary. Ian Rintoul from Refugee Action Coalition said that the promise of processing within one week was either a joke, or more likely, showed that the Australian and Nauruan governments had been awaiting the determinations.

Rintoul stated that there were no refugee resettlement plans, no safety in the community, and that the refugees could not leave the island. The Nauru movements were cosmetic in advance of a High Court hearing this week, which challenges the Australian government’s involvement in the detention arrangements.

Executive Director Of Refugee

David Manne, the executive director of Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre, stated that Nauru’s actions did not address the core issue of how refugees would rebuild their lives in safety and dignity. Manne stated that the announcement raised very serious concerns about why processing took so long and whether it would be fair. Asked how fair processing in a week could be.

Manne stated that the people had to rescue from Nauru because it is an impoverish nation not equipped to provide for their basic rights and needs. Sarah Hanson-Young, Greens immigration spokesperson, said that the people should brought to Australia, which includes women and children. She said that it was unsafe for Nauru’s children and women. Andrew Wilkie, a Tasmanian independent MP, also state that refugees should settled in Australia. The Nauru announcement was a recipe to anarchy and violence.

October 15, 2021